It's the second Tuesday of the month, and time for the Scraptastic Tuesday link up hosted by Nicky - Mrs. Sew and Sow and me.
I spent some time this last weekend working on my magenta and navy courthouse steps quilt. I started this quilt with a bundle of fat quarters from Fabric Spark, and as the quilt grew I had to start looking for more fabrics to use and turned to my scraps.
I purposely did not plan out the layout or colour placement of this quilt. I wanted to try for an asymmetrical sort of arrangement in a very symmetrical traditional pattern. As each block is added, I decide then what colours and fabrics to use next.
My courthouse steps blocks start with a 2" cut square and 2" strips cut at 5", 8", 11" and 14". The blocks are 14" square unfinished, which is an odd size perhaps but I like the proportions.
I realized as I was making this quilt that I could start planning another and start cutting strips from my scraps and new purchases as I used those fabrics for other projects. I know the idea of organizing scraps into cut strips is well recommended but I have resisted as I did not think I would ever use them. But now I see if I have a scrappy project in mind, I could organize my scraps with that in mind.
A huge thank you to our generous sponsors for providing the following prizes:
- Fat Quarter Shop - $25 gift certificate
- Sew Sisters Quilt Shop - $25 gift certificate
- Sew me a Song - a $20 gift certificate
- Massdrop - a pack of 100 Red Wonder Clips
- Mad About Patchwork - a $30 gift certificate
- Oakshott Fabrics - a Colourshott charm pack of colours 31 - 57
- Green Fairy Quilts - $25 gift certificate
- You don't have to have joined us before, everyone is welcome.
- One link per person, and it will be your entry into the random draw for the prizes. It is the same link up here and at Nicky's blog - Mrs. Sew and Sow - so you only need to link up on one of our blogs.
- Please visit at least a few of the links, they are very inspiring, and leave comments too as everyone loves to connect.
- Use the Scraptastic Tuesday button if you like (code is on the sidebar) and invite your friends to join us too.
- The link is open until next Monday night at 10:00 pm MST. We will announce the winners next Tuesday.
- If you have trouble linking up let me or Nicky know and we will get you sorted.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you have to share with us this month.Best,