I made my list of projects for Scraptastic Tuesday last week, so when I had a few minutes to work with my scraps last night I checked it. It really helped me to focus, so rather than starting yet another new thing, I decided to get out the Liberty scraps to work on Nicky's Scraptastic Sampler.
I was in the mood to take my time considering my fabric choices. I tidied up my box of Liberty fabrics - I have collected a lot of small pieces now. I am a bit surprised at how long I can spend picking out 8 different blueish prints. Many of these fabrics really are such beautiful and detailed drawings.
This is how my sewing space often looks. Fabric, piecing, telephone so I can instagram and computer to check the patterns and to watch Netflix, all late at night after dark. Flying geese are far more challenging for me than they should be so I drew my lines carefully and worked slowly, pressing as I went.
The flying geese are arranged this way to be a 9" Dutchman's Puzzle Block. I am very pleased with this block and I am happy that I did not lose any of the points.
This block is called Devil's Puzzle. It will be 4" finished (so 4.5" square right now). Again I worked slowly and deliberately, but it's less than perfect. But when you step back a little, you won't notice that at all.
Here are my blocks all together. They are starting to look good together and I am glad I decided to keep the backgrounds to the Kona Snow and each block to one or two colours. I adore Liberty fabrics with their stunning artwork and fantastic colours, but they are certainly traditional small prints. And, although I love to make modern quilts, I also love to explore traditional quilt blocks and this project seems to be giving me a nice opportunity to do that.
Today is the second Tuesday of February and so its time for the Scraptastic Tuesday link. Please join Nicky from Mrs. Sew and Sow and I by linking up a blog post or flickr or instagram photo sharing a scrappy project, in progress or finished, or your thoughts on dealing with your scrap mountain:
- You don't have to have joined us before, everyone is welcome.
- One link per person, and it will be your entry into the random draw for the prizes. It is the same link up here and at Nicky's blog - Mrs. Sew and Sow - so you only need to link up on one of our blogs.
- Please visit at least a few of the links, they are very inspiring, and leave comments too as everyone loves to connect.
- Use the Scraptastic Tuesday button if you like (code is on the sidebar) and invite your friends to join us too.
- The link is open until next Monday night at 10:00 pm MST.
Here are the fantastic February Link sponsors:
A huge thank you to our generous sponsors for providing the following prizes:
- Oakshott Fabrics - £25 gift certificate
- Sew Sisters Quilt Shop - $25 gift certificate
- Green Fairy Quilts - $20 gift certificate
- Fat Quarter Shop - a $25 gift certificate
- Fluffy Sheep Quilting - 1/2 yard by weight of rainbow scraps
- Sew me a Song - a $20 gift certificate
- Massdrop - Sakura fat quarter pack
- Mad About Patchwork - a $30 gift certificate
I hope you are enjoying using your scraps and sharing as much as I am. And if you have not yet checked out Nicky's post on her latest scrappy project you should - she is now making 3 quilts, not one with her Hot Cross Buns Blocks.