It's the second Tuesday of January and that means that the Scraptastic Tuesday link is open. Happy New Year and I hope you are as happy as I am that Nicky and I will be continuing Scraptastic Tuesday for 2017. Please share your scrappy projects, in progress or completed or your tips for using or organizing your scraps.
I was looking through my photos and I have to say that I did not use my scraps much over the holidays, instead I made more with projects using yardage. I do have one project that may or may not end up using my scraps.
I received these small blocks last summer - 4" - 6" square - in a little swap between the members of Bee Sewcial. The theme was low volume and a pop of colour. I have been trying to decide how to use them as I want a quilt not a mini quilt I think. So in December, my first thought was to pull a bunch of neutral scraps out and use them with the blocks. But this was not speaking to me, perhaps because of the dark additions. But mostly I did not feel like puzzling through the piecing of the irregular fabrics at that point.
While the blocks were still up on my design board, I wondered if maybe this arrangement would be nicer. The dark blue, not quite navy background is a Essex Linen which I have been holding for the right project. But I am still not sure about that either. I love the simplicity of it but was stuck at the proportions.
To me, the blocks become more intentionally the focus in this minimalist layout. So it feels that if I make the quilt too large, the negative space will inappropriately diminish that intention. But I don't want this to be a baby quilt either. So I am thinking on that issue and the question of proportions. Perhaps the right solution is to find a way to make the focus area bigger - more space between them, more blocks, a kind of minimalist border, or something else. Or maybe it is fine as it is, I am still not sure.
Stay tuned, maybe another idea entirely will come to mind. I have been trying to give myself permission to let creative ideas percolate a bit, as I have no shortage of other projects to be working on while they do.
Here are our fabulous Scraptastic Tuesday Sponsors and their buttons, feel free to click through and thank them for their support:
A huge thank you to our generous sponsors for providing the following prizes which will be awarded randomly among those of you who link up.
- Studio 39 Fabrics - $25 gift certificate
- Fat Quarter Shop - $25 gift certificate
- Mad About Patchwork - a $40 gift certificate
- Sew Sisters Quilt Shop - $25 gift certificate
- Green Fairy Quilts - $25 gift certificate
- You don't have to have joined us before, everyone is welcome.
- One link per person, and it will be your entry into the random draw for the prizes. It is the same link up here and at Nicky's blog - Mrs. Sew and Sow - so you only need to link up on one of our blogs.
- This link is to share with our community about using your scraps, please don't use it to advertise your own products or events.
- You can link up from your blog, instagram or flickr, but you have to link up to be entered in the prize draw.
- Please visit at least a few of the links, they are very inspiring, and leave comments too as everyone loves to connect.
- Use the Scraptastic Tuesday button and invite your friends to join us too. Please share our button, or a link or the hashtag #scraptastictuesday in your linked post or photo.
- The link is open until next Monday night at 10:00 pm MST. We will announce the winners next Tuesday.
- If you have trouble linking up, let me or Nicky know and we will get you sorted.