It's the second Tuesday of March, so the Scraptastic Tuesday monthly link is open.
First, the tradition is for me to share my scrappy project with you. And there are my boxes of scraps and bins of scraps to be sorted, just waiting for me to get to work.
But I have to admit to not having made any progress on scrappy projects in a while - in fact I have done little sewing since I left for QuiltCon. This happened last year too, with so much inspiration, I want to make everything and nothing. I want to do tiny piecing and I want to go minimalist with large huge blocks. I want to improv and also do very geometric piecing. I find myself unable to focus - and so I don't make much - I did manage to work on my Lion quilt, making paper scraps at least, I will share that progress tomorrow, but it is not really a scrappy project.
So today I am fessing up. Luckily for the blog, it is my Blog Birthday coming up and with the help of some friends and sponsors I have been able to celebrate that at least. But I have a scrappy quilting plan - its diversion.
Instead of figuring out which new quilt to make with my scraps, I am going to get the giant scrappy log cabin top loaded on the long arm and I am going to quilt that quilt. I am going to use this quilt as an opportunity to get over my reluctance to quilt a quilt twice on the long arm.
That is, I love cross hatched quilting - squares and rectangles like down filled jackets. But on the long arm to do that easily, you need to quilt the lines horizontally, then take the quilt off the machine, turn it and reload it so you can quilt the next set of lines horizontally. It generally takes me less than 15 minutes to load a quilt, surely the "hassle" of quilting twice is all in my head.
So, you folks are keeping me honest. I am planning to visit your links and be inspired on how to use my scraps and in the meantime it is my intention to report back here next Tuesday with the quilting done. Maybe even the binding too, it will be a scrappy binding for sure - I think with black and dark grey scraps or else pink ones.
Now its time for you to share your scrappy projects, plans and ideas.
A huge thank you to our generous sponsors for providing the following prizes which will be awarded randomly among those of you who link up.
- Mad About Patchwork - a $40 gift certificate
- Fluffy Sheep Quilting - a €20 (20 Euro) gift certificate
- Green Fairy Quilts - $25 gift certificate
- Karen Lewis Textiles - scrap pack
- Fat Quarter Shop - $25 gift certificate
- Massdrop - Sam and Mitzi Fat Quarter Bundle
- Sew Sisters Quilt Shop - $25 gift certificate
- Simply Solids - £20 (20 Pounds) gift certificate
- You don't have to have joined us before, everyone is welcome.
- One link per person, and it will be your entry into the random draw for the prizes. It is the same link up here and at Nicky's blog - Mrs. Sew and Sow - so you only need to link up on one of our blogs.
- Please visit at least a few of the links, they are very inspiring, and leave comments too as everyone loves to connect.
- Use the Scraptastic Tuesday button and invite your friends to join us too. Please share our button, or a link or the hashtag #scraptastictuesday in your linked post or photo.
- The link is open until next Monday night at 10:00 pm MST. We will announce the winners next Tuesday.
- If you have trouble linking up, let me or Nicky know and we will get you sorted.