It's the second Tuesday of June, and the Scraptastic Tuesday monthly link is open.
I've been away from this blog, and I miss it. I have also been away from sewing, but less away than away from the blog, so I have things to share that were made in between my last post and now. To get back into the habit of blogging, I will try to catch you up over the next few days.
By the way, I don't believe that one needs to apologize for blogging absences or explain them either - one can do as they like and there are no obligations to be here. But this time - because it often looks a little too easy here on the blog - I will share a bit. My reasons for being absent are:
- too much work at the day job (interesting and challenging work but all the same too much),
- a conference across to the eastern edge of Canada for which I was heavily involved in the planning and delivery of (it was a great success but jet lag was tough),
- my garden (which is new to me and full of fun and a lot of work),
- a twist/sprain/something to my knee (which makes me hobble and has spurred me on to reactivate my weight watchers app and think about getting into shape too)
It is that last one that I wanted to share about the most. It is hard to return to a habit of sharing stuff about myself on my blog. I could use that time to garden or put my swollen legs up and nap, or any number of other things. But, upon reflection, I miss sharing here. I miss being able to see where I have been and where I am going. I miss your comments and the connections that those can bring (I do try to reply to those commenters who have an email connected to their profile by the way). So I'm back, and I will share what I can.
I did get use my scraps on Sunday. I have been keeping my coloured solid scraps in that lovely pot that used to be my Grandmother's. I was nervous about using it to cook in as it is quite thin at spots but I wanted to see it often, so it seemed perfect for a scrap container.
In Beesewcial, each month's leader gives an inspiration and a few rules and then we make what we are inspired to make. For June, Felicity wanted us to be inspired by the greens or blues of the Lake District and make her strata style block. I have long been in love with strata - lines - and I was so happy to have this project to work on. I found a lot of green scraps, many of which were already cut in strips so I just started joining them together.
I was in the mood to add a few points of interest. Sort of like when you walk in the forest and it is so uniform and then suddenly there is little meadow or a dense thicket.
Before long, even though I was moving slowly and enjoying the process, I had this block done. It is about 25" by 12.5". The greens are light to medium, the darkest green in the photo is still a medium I think. Felicity is going to have the best quilt!
A huge thank you to our generous sponsors for providing the following prizes which will be awarded randomly among those of you who link up.
- Karen Lewis Textiles - scrap pack
- Fat Quarter Shop - $25 gift certificate
- Massdrop - Marine by Quilt Gate Half Yard Bundle
- Sew Sisters Quilt Shop - $25 gift certificate
- Simply Solids - £20 (20 Pounds) gift certificate
- Mad About Patchwork - a $40 gift certificate
- Fluffy Sheep Quilting - a €20 (20 Euro) gift certificate
- Green Fairy Quilts - $25 gift certificate
Please join Nicky from Mrs. Sew and Sow and I by linking up a blog post or flickr or instagram photo sharing a scrappy project, in progress or finished, or your thoughts on dealing with your scrap mountain:
- You don't have to have joined us before, everyone is welcome.
- One link per person, and it will be your entry into the random draw for the prizes. It is the same link up here and at Nicky's blog - Mrs. Sew and Sow - so you only need to link up on one of our blogs.
- This link is to share with our community about using your scraps, please don't use it to advertise your own products or events.
- You can link up from your blog, instagram or flickr, but you have to link up to be entered in the prize draw.
- Please visit at least a few of the links, they are very inspiring, and leave comments too as everyone loves to connect.
- Use the Scraptastic Tuesday button and invite your friends to join us too. Please share our button, or a link or the hashtag #scraptastictuesday in your linked post or photo.
- The link is open until next Monday night at 10:00 pm MST. We will announce the winners next Tuesday.
- If you have trouble linking up, let me or Nicky know and we will get you sorted.