Tuesday, October 8, 2013
Q4 Begins - Link your list for the last quarter of the 2013 FAL
I have been reading all of your Q3 Finish-A-Long finishes posts - and will continue to read till I have read every one. I recommend perusing these links for all the inspiring finishes and lovely stories about the projects. And, thank you to all of you, for all the compliments and nice things you have said about my cheerleading, encouraging and cajoling in the FAL. It truly is fun to be your "fearless leader".
This fall I have been tidying and cleaning, sorting and rearranging - the whole house it seems. This organizing fever has spilled over into my quilting plans. My Q4 list is crazy - I know several of you will just laugh and laugh, but I am optimistic. And I remind you, there are no penalties for not finishing your list, so go large. Here is mine:
1. Pickle Dish - I think this has been on all my 2013 lists. I have only about 24 dish units to make of the 200 required, I have 7 of the 25 blocks of 8 dish units sewn, then there is quilting and such but I really, really want this done as it would be nice to gift it at Christmas.
2. Asterix and other symbols quilt - I have all the blocks back from the talented quilters in Always Bee Learning, and worse, it is my month again in November. It is time to make these blocks into a quilt, I mean, look at how cool they are.
3. While we are on bee blocks, look at those beautiful improv sampler blocks from my friends in the Free Bee. I know how I want to piece these and quilt them, this is quick project and will be such an excellent quilt.
4. This block is called Stonehenge from the 99 Modern Blocks book and was made for me in the now finished Modern Blocks Bee. I might add some warmer coloured blocks too, I have more fabrics. But they are quick and easy, so surely I can finish this one too.
5. Cycles 2 - This feels like cheating. All it needs is the binding, but I don't want it to get set aside, so it is on the list.
6. The No quilt is a project near to my heart, and has sat mostly stalled. I have some lovely embroidered contributions and I need to get more blocks done. This quilt is for my office, to remind me to say No more often - just because I can do something does not mean I have time or should do it.
7. Emerald Irish Chain - Truly should be done already. Enough said.
8. Placemats - The awful brown table cloth is making me crazy, I need to get these done.
9. Giant Nordika Plus and pattern - I love the giant pluses, it will be easy to finish this one.
10. Mystery quilt - This is the most beautiful quilt top I have made - Sheila's pattern and teaching have a lot to do with that. I have been too scared to quilt it, but I think I will be ready this quarter.
11. Loads of flying geese - I love making these now that I have ruler assistance to keep them nice. I see these as a fill in piecing project, when I just want to sew something fast. And I love all the flying geese quilts I keep seeing, so maybe I can have one this quarter.
12. Cria, a sweater for me - I am excited to be knitting a sweater again, and this yarn is soft and lovely. This project should fit nicely around all the rest, and I keep it in my bag for all the lines, time spent waiting for kids and such.
You know there are more bee blocks in my drawer, and some other quilt tops too. But I am stopping at 12, after only finishing 2 things this quarter, my chances are slim. But I am hopeful none the less.
Now the news. The FAL will continue for all of us in 2014. As you will recall, Rhonda from Quilter in the Gap is the mastermind of the FAL, having started it in 2012 She decreed that it would move each year to another blog. So the FAL moved from Tennessee, U.S.A to Alberta, Canada and next year I am ever so pleased to announce that the FAL is off to Scotland!
Yes, my real life and internet friend, Katy from The Littlest Thistle is going to be our host for 2014. That's her in the middle, at Sewing Summit the year before this most recent one. I love this photo and stole it from her blog (hopefully she will be ok with that).
If you don't know Katy well yet, check out her blog - she is talented, funny and smart (she just explained a lot of math to all of us in a way anyone can understand in her tutorial this week). I know that we will all have the best time finishing along next year under her leadership.
Enough, get your Q4 lists done and link them here. If you need to check the FAL rules they are here. If you have questions, let me know in the comments or by email to shecanquilt [at] gmail [dot] com.
I will let you know our fantastic Q4 sponsors in a few days, I can assure you that you will want plenty of entries in the Q4 draws, so do go large with those lists - lets make Q4 the quarter with the largest number of finishes in FAL history.