It's the second Tuesday of May already, and the Scraptastic Tuesday monthly link is open.
First I need to report on the progress of my scrap sorting exercise. As you will remember, I have become frustrated about the fact that after over a year of trying to focus on using scraps, I still had overflowing boxes of scraps. So last month I vowed to empty them and cut them up.
I am pleased to say I have been through 4 boxes of coloured scraps and most of my box of low volume scraps.
I have been taking out any further pieces that can be seen as a strip (I did this once before and that led to me making Villa which is the scrappy quilt I shared last month). Then I piled any already cut squares - it seems some time ago I threw a bunch of left over charm squares and swap squares into the scrap boxes. Then I pressed the bits left over and cut out squares in 5", 6", or 2.5". I picked these square sizes by the size of a charm square, a charm square cut into 4 and the size of a number of squares I found in the boxes. There are also some bits of 3" and 3.5" squares left over from projects.
Before I started this project I put a new blade in my rotary cutter and after I had cut the 4.5 boxes, I changed that blade again. I really do not like cutting fabric, so I put on Netflix too and made the best of it. But in the interests of full disclosure, this project is not fun for me, so I focus on the end goal and go as quickly as I can while still cutting safely.
I admit to tossing out the remaining bits. I am sorry to say that I just need some finality here and I know after all this time that I am not going to use them up. Also, I am going to try really hard to cut new scraps I save in this manner and not create more boxes and bags of bits and pieces.
I have it in mind to use the squares for a pixelated rainbow sort of quilt and some value quilts likely with HSTs. I want to create that pinboard I imagined last month with other scrappy projects using squares. My other plan for this month is also to cut up the 3 other scrap boxes I have and pull out the 4 or so bags of other scraps that need to be sorted and such. I'll report back next month on my progress.
Now its time for you to share your scrappy projects, plans and ideas.
A huge thank you to our generous sponsors for providing the following prizes which will be awarded randomly among those of you who link up.
- Sew Me a Song - $20 gift certificate
- Massdrop - First of Infinity Fat Quarter Bundle
- Fluffy Sheep Quilting - a €20 (20 Euro) gift certificate
- Fat Quarter Shop - $25 gift certificate
- Sew Sisters Quilt Shop - $25 gift certificate
- Green Fairy Quilts - $25 gift certificate
- Karen Lewis Textiles - scrap pack
- Mad About Patchwork - a $40 gift certificate
Please join Nicky from Mrs. Sew and Sow and I by linking up a blog post or flickr or instagram photo sharing a scrappy project, in progress or finished, or your thoughts on dealing with your scrap mountain:
- You don't have to have joined us before, everyone is welcome.
- One link per person, and it will be your entry into the random draw for the prizes. It is the same link up here and at Nicky's blog - Mrs. Sew and Sow - so you only need to link up on one of our blogs.
- This link is to share with our community about using your scraps, please don't use it to advertise your own products or events.
- You can link up from your blog, instagram or flickr, but you have to link up to be entered in the prize draw.
- Please visit at least a few of the links, they are very inspiring, and leave comments too as everyone loves to connect.
- Use the Scraptastic Tuesday button and invite your friends to join us too. Please share our button, or a link or the hashtag #scraptastictuesday in your linked post or photo.
- The link is open until next Monday night at 10:00 pm MST. We will announce the winners next Tuesday.
- If you have trouble linking up, let me or Nicky know and we will get you sorted.