- My Quilts
- Links to Tutorials, QALs & Stuff
- Advice for New Bloggers, 2017 New Quilt Bloggers Blog Hop
- 2017 Finish A Long
- 2016 Finish - A - Long
- Scraptastic Tuesday
- FAL Tutorials, all years
- My patterns for sale
- Shop my Sponsors
- Decipher Your Quilt
- 2013 - Finish - A - Long
- SCQ Long Arm
- Disclosure policy
Tuesday, May 22, 2012
Noise - Ta Da!
Noise is all done. She was great fun to make and she is going to be fun to cuddle with all summer at my cottage.
Noise was made with Umbrella Prints Trimmings. The idea is to use a package of trimmings from the wonderful Umbrella Prints fabrics in any way. I wanted to make a quilt and I was not getting anywhere until I was spurred on by my friend Katy at the Littlest Thistle. You can read a bit about my start on this quilt here.
My days are full of noise right now, and I have so much to do as I am going on a holiday on Thursday evening. As I was pushing all the noise away, trying to calm and settle it, trying to keep only that which was important in focus, my plan for this quilt came together.
I had long ago collected a big stack of Bella neutrals. And I pulled out some Kona neutrals and some linen. I planned 15" blocks as there were 15 trimmings pieces - the only cut on a trimmings piece was to cut one into two so the quilt could be square. It finishes at about 60" x 60".
The quilting is with a variegated white/tan Valdani hand dyed thread. I decided to try purposely wavy and randomly spaced lines. For me, that was far harder than reasonable straightish lines - which was not what I expected. I placed some hera marker marks about every 6" to give me some reference points so the lines did not tip over too much.
The quilting needed to be less than straight and somewhat random, adding more of the noise to my quilt.
Making the blocks was incredibly fun and easy. Something about a large stack of neutral fabric - easy to replace - gave me the ability to just play. I made only two "rules" - only two or three neutrals per block and the resulting block needed to look squarish but a little wonky was fine.
You can see that neutrals are hard to photograph. All of these photos are of the quilt after washing. I did the binding in Essex linen as I had a large enough piece left. I followed the instructions Marianne at the Quilting Edge posted here and here to machine stitch the binding on - it is really as easy as she explains.
I hope you like Noise. At some point there is voting and such for this contest, I will keep you posted.
Back to the noise for now, there is a lot to do before I leave for London.