Sunday, January 4, 2015

Rumble - Ta Da!

Rumble

This is Rumble. I though of calling her Pop but she is not quite popping, more of a Rumble I think. She is about 45" by 57" after a wash and dry. There are many different fabrics in her construction, quilting cottons, shot cottons, linens and other interesting fabrics. I am totally smitten with this quilt.

Rumble

I asked my bee mates in the Free Bee to make me 15" blocks with a small pop of improv and some neutrals in the background. They sent these fantastic blocks  and then I dithered about how to make them into a quilt. I debated adding 4 more blocks, or adding just more neutrals, and in the end I settled on this simple setting with a small linen border. When she was done, I added the dark olive grey cotton binding.

Rumble - detail

For the quilting, I decided to use my long arm machine and free hand lines. At first I was just going to do some all over matchstick quilting, but as I looked at the quilt on the frame, I decided that each block should have its own treatment.

Rumble - detail

I repeated the basic quilting designs on more than one block, to ensure some level of continuity in the quilt. For the border, I did a squared off stipple effect, which I think works very nicely with this quilt.

Rumble - detail

I used a Superior Threads King Tut 50 wt and then an Aurifil 50 wt in light snow and tan. I had a lot of thread breaks quilting this quilt - about an equal number with both brands of thread - clearly it was my technique, not the materials. I practiced starting the quilting mid quilt - wherever the thread had broken - and after the wash you will have to look hard to notice the location of the starts.

Rumble - detail

The frame of the long arm limits some of the kinds of things you can easily quilt overall on the quilt. But these blocks were a perfect size to allow me to move in any direction without having to roll the quilt back and forth.

Rumble - detail

I outlined the blocks along their edges. I am getting much better at stitching freehand in the ditch, but I'm not even close to perfect. In fact, although I adore how the quilting looks, it is nothing close to technically perfect. It does not seem to matter on this improv quilt.

Rumble - detail

I am hoping you want to see all the details, I think this quilt is one of the best overall quilting that I have ever done, despite the lack of technical excellence, thread breaks, wobbles and all. The modern industrial look I strive for is evident.

Rumble - detail

I left the improv bits unquilted for the most part. They puff up, rumbling to the surface so to speak.

Rumble - detail

I also have to say I adore the improv nature of these blocks, and the use of so many neutrals.

Rumble - before the wash

The photo above is before I washed her. The areas of colour probably look a tiny bit better before the wash because they were not quilted. But the overall quilt improved dramatically with the wash. She was fairly stiff from all that thread and now she has a lovely drape and so much more texture.


The back is pretty simple, a Paris map print and a couple of Suzuko Koseki prints that I love.

Rumble

A huge thank you to all my  Free Bee bee mates who sent me blocks:
Finish Along 2014

This quilt is also my first finish from my Q4 FAL list (original list is here). I know, finishing the first project on my list this weekend is a pretty poor showing on the finish side, but oh well, there will be lots of things to put on my Q1 2015 list. If I am quick about it there might be time to finish one more before the Q4 link up ends.


I am going to show off this finish at Aylin's Monday Makers link too.



Best, 

Leanne