Last Wednesday I said I was going work on some things. Here is how I am doing.
The Swirling Medallion quilt had a back made, then it was basted, quilted, bound and washed. I will post a Ta Da post about it later this week, she turned out so nice.
My Giant Plus quilt had a back made, and I basted and quilted her. So this coming week I hope to trim, bind and wash her. I went for fairly light quilting - at least for me - and I think it will work nicely with the giant size motifs.
Tonight I quilted the last line on my St. Louis 16 Patch. I love the feeling of doing that last line. So this week I backed, basted, and quilted her too.
It is hard to see in this late night too dark picture but I quilted it in a cross hatch. I just love quilts with the squares and they puff up so nicely when they are washed. So another one to trim, bind and wash.
So last week I said I was hoping to quilt four quilts and finish the quilting on one other - getting three quilted is not bad. And in my defence, I ran out of batting - time to buy a new huge roll - and I need more pins if I want to baste 4 quilts at once. So quilting my Granny Square quilt and finishing the Emerald Irish Chain go back on the to do list.
Di from Random Thoughts of do or di directed me to a post from Sharon at Lilabelle Lane Creations (go here) calling for polaroid blocks for a special quilt. So I made some for her. I missed the mail today so I need to get these blocks and other mail out tomorrow at lunch.
I did plan out and test my blocks for my round as Queen Bee in year 2 of the Modern Stitching Bee. I saw my friend Alison's quilt here, which I love. She linked to Robin's inspiration mock up photo - do go here to see it. I loved Robin's quilt so much that I emailed her for permission to copy it in my bee, which she generously gave me.
I am changing a couple of things - varying the text print to any thing that reads as a horizontal line on white/cream/ivory, and brightening the colour palette a bit, but mostly I am sticking to Robin's design. And thank you to Alison, for pointing out this great idea in the first place.
In case you wanted to make blocks similar, there are excellent tutorials for piecing the thrift (or economy or square in square) blocks at Red Pepper Quilts here and at Little Island Quilting here, I just gave my bee mates the math to make the units finish at 6" square. If you wanted to paper piece the thrift blocks, I drew up a paper piecing pattern and it is here. There are may tutorials for QSTs, I generally go back to this one, although I start with slightly larger squares and trim a bit. So the bee blocks are off the list.
I was distracted by an excellent prize on Friday and dropped everything to make this lovely bag (my post about it is here) from Patchwork Please! Unfortunately I did not win the prizes but it is fine, as I have the bag.
My list for next week, from last week's unfinished business, is:
- Finishing the Giant Plus and the St. Louis 16 Patch quilts.
- Quilting the Granny Squares and the Emerald Irish Chain quilts.
- Sort, trim, count and take stock of the pickle dishes, finish the blocks I have units for, and develop a plan for finishing it.
- Get those place mats finished.
And a couple of other projects:
- Finish knitting Krista's hat, take stock and see if she needs a better one.
- Recover my ironing board before the top falls apart.
- Start the Tula Pink City Sampler blocks. I am only about half way behind, I think there is time to catch up.
Another plan steeped in optimism but it remains my favourite way to be.