Monday, January 16, 2012

A quilt for my bed - Ta Da!

A quilt for my bed

It's all done - quilted, bound, washed and tested out. This quilt is king size and, after washing, is 93" x 94".

A quilt for my bed

The fabrics are called Poppy and Lantern Bloom by Laura Gunn, together with Essex 100% linen. I put a really soft high thread count king size sheet on the back, in the same not quite white colour of the linen.

A quilt for my bed

This quilt was a long time in the making. The first bit of the fabrics were part of one of my first on-line fabric purchases, almost two years ago and then I kept buying a few more until I had enough. Then I searched for a pattern that would show off the large scale prints. The pattern I picked is called the Wedding Quilt by the Purl Bee and I adjusted the block size to make the quilt king size. I pieced the top in June, encouraged to get the quilt for me to the top of the list by  the Naked Bed Challenge.

A quilt for my bed - quilting

I quilted it in organic straight lines with a walking foot and used a slightly variegated hand dyed ivory/golden 50 weight thread from Valdani Inc. I did not want it so heavily quilted that it would lose its softness and drape. The linen is a little heavier and stiffer than cotton. Quilting this on my Horizon was not dreadful, and I would do another king size quilt again. This size is likely my limit for quilting on a regular sewing machine.

A quilt for my bed - binding and quilting detail

The binding is one of the aqua prints. It is hand stitched on the back. That took a fairly long time to do, but was a nice relaxed ending.

A quilt for my bed - binding detail

Here is a detail of the binding and you can see the print that is the binding just to the left of the red poppies in the photo. I wanted this quilt to be large enough to actually cover both of us in this big bed and so there is a bit of overhang on all edges and it reaches over the pillows.

A quilt for me - done.

Here is the best hanging up picture that I managed. My helpers stood on chairs and stairs and we set up lights to make the dark hallway bright enough. It is really hard to hold a quilt this big and you can see this photo cuts off the top and the edges a bit.

Edited to add: I am linking this post up to Rhonda at Quilter in the Gaps FAL First Quarter Report. My post of my FAL goals is here.


I am posting this to Sew {Modern} Monday and will add it to Fabric Tuesday tomorrow. It is also my first finish in the Finish-a-long over at Quilter in the Gap, which is working for me so far!

Fresh Poppy Design
{Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations



Enjoy your week, we finally have snow and -26C temperatures. Winter has arrived.

Best,

Leanne